Reaching Records LLC is a for-profit Christian, independent record company based in Colorado Springs, CO that produces inspirational music projects to benefit both humanitarian and faith-based organizations. The label was conceived June 1994 in Oakland, CA. Founder and President, John Redmon started this unique label in his grandmother’s living room to “reach and touch hearts around the world”. He was 18 years old.
John Paul Redmon (also known both professionally and sentimentally as JRed) was born May 8, 1975 and is the founder, president and CEO of Reaching Records LLC — a Christian, independent record label based in Colorado Springs, CO. Redmon is also an American inspirational artist, pianist, singer, composer, arranger, motivational speaker, and humanitarian.
John Redmon was born a fraternal twin at Alta Bates Hospital in Berkeley, CA to Cynthia Mae Redmon and Lee Arnel Redmon on May 8, 1975. Around age 3, mother, Cynthia recognized that young Redmon was drawn to music. Cynthia Redmon recounts: “Every time I turned on the radio and music would play, John would stop playing with his toys, run to a piece of furniture and started banging on it like he was playing the piano. I said to myself, Lord, that boy wants to play!”
Mother, Cynthia Redmon, was an accomplished pianist that found joy playing for home church and became young Redmon’s first piano teacher. “John was about 5 years old, and I would sit on the piano bench at church and sit him next to me. I would play a song with both hands on the piano, and John would play the melody of the song with one finger” states Ms. Redmon.
Ms. Redmon continues. “We couldn’t afford professional piano lessons for John until he was around 9 years old, so up to that point, I had to teach him everything I knew.”
Age 9, John took his first piano lesson at Golden Gate Academy, a private, Christian school where Redmon, his twin sister Esther and elder sister Mary attended for twelve years. His piano teachers from ages 9-12 were in fact the school’s music teachers. His piano teachers were Janice McRae (White), Bronwynn Watkins (Crutchfield) and Raymond Davis. Music mentors later included Teri L. Simmons, the late John Bowen and Thomas J. Dawson, Jr. (music director for the legendary Commodores).
By age 12, Redmon developed another passion…writing music. Recognizing this new desire, Redmon was not only being strongly encouraged by his mother and his piano instructors to play proficiently both by ear and sight, but also to compose his own original music.
Age 18, Redmon decided to not just compose but house his original works within his own independent record label. He named the company Reaching Records. The motto and mission of the label was to ‘reach and touch hearts around the world.’ For the next twenty years, Redmon produced and released multiple projects on this label that gained national attention and recognition, including: A Woman’s Journey (featuring Grammy Award Nominees Vickie Winans and Brenda Nicholas); John Redmon & Friends: Faith, Love and Unity, Vol 1 (Independent Music Award Nominated Album featuring BeBe and CeCe Winans, Daniel Winans, Phil and Brenda Nicholas and Grammy Award winner Patti Labelle); S’Agapo (“…a fantastic collection of R&B songs”); and Thank You Lord (Story of the Shunamite Woman) — his biggest and most successful/notable single release.
Redmon has toured throughout the United States and England with his inspirational messages found in both word and song. He testifies and believes that his latter days are going to be greater than his past.
From grades 1-12, Redmon attended Golden Gate Academy (a private, Seventh-day Adventist school based in Oakland, CA). In 1993, he graduated his senior class as valedictorian. He began his undergraduate studies at Peralta Community Colleges from 1993-1995. In 1996, Redmon transferred to Oakwood College (now Oakwood University) in Huntsville, AL, where he joined the singing recruitment group for the college called Positive Images (Evelyn Fordham-Goodman, Dana Arceneaux, Keith Goodman, Danielle Story, Bruce Williams, Jr., Tiffany Franklin, John Redmon, Heather Trotter-Martin). From 1997-1999, Redmon attended and graduated with his Associates degree in General Studies from Calhoun Community College in Decatur, AL. He also received the prestigious Top Ten Most Outstanding Students Award from that same college. In 1999, he enrolled in Athens State University (Athens, AL) where he received his Bachelors of Science degree in Computer Information Systems in 2001.
When Redmon is not touring with his music around the country, he is writing and arranging music, teaching and mentoring youth. He also acts as marketing consultant, building and maintaining websites, creating and editing videos.
Redmon is “happily single”. He has a myriad of friends who have become family members that he loves to spend time with. These family members include people from various ethnicities, ages, sexes, political affiliations, religious persuasions, socioeconomic backgrounds and different walks of life. Redmon states: “My friends have become my family and I have family that have truly become my best friends. I am blessed beyond measure because of it.”
• 2021 Best of The Springs Award
• 2021 Imagine Music Video Wins Telly Award at 42nd Annual Telly Awards
• 2020 The Bash Best of Award
• 2019 Gigmasters Best of Award
• 2018 Gigmasters Best of Award
• 2017 Gigmasters Best of Award
• 2016 Gigmasters Best of Award
• 2016 Performed The Star Spangled Banner : Live at the Pepsi Center, Denver CO for the Nuggets vs Cavaliers game
• 2011 Te-Amo (I Love You) was semi-finalist in the R&B/Hip-Hop category for the Unsigned Only International Music Competition
• 2009-2010 Inducted in Cambridge Who’s Who Amongst Professionals, Executives and Entrepreneurs
• 2009 John Redmon & Friends: Faith Love & Unity, Vol 1 nominated for Best Gospel Album at the 9th Annual Independent Music Awards
• 2002 Six tracks from various Reaching Records’ projects appear on AVON’s compilation CD: Praise + Worship: 50 Songs of Inspiration
• 1999 Received the Golden Flame Award for Recording Excellence
• 1997 Redmon’s original patriotic tune America! was given accolades and two thumbs up from Senator Dianne Feinstein
• 1996 His co-penned tune I’m a Miracle performed on Paramount’s Maury Povich Show by Patricia Daniels (AKA Peebah)
• 1994 Winner of Hollywood Song Jubilee Silver Award for his co-penned tune, I’m a Miracle
• 1987 Won 1st place for Abide in Him in the Trinity Chambers Songwriting Competition, and was performed by the Trinity Chambers Orchestra (Berkeley, CA)